The Pont des Arts, linking the Institut de France and the Palais du Louvre, has existed since 1804.
Very well known and reputed, especially among tourists and their famous tradition of "love lock", but also among artists such as photographers, painters ... this bridge is one of the most represented and known elements of the capital.
Its construction, having taken place between 1801 and 1804, will have given place to the very first metal bridge of Paris.
At the time it was larger than it is today, it was made of cast iron with nine arches.
Its name, the same as at the time, comes from the fact that the Louvre Palace was previously called the Palais des Arts. The Pont des Arts gave direct access to it.
In order to cross it, passers-by had to pay the right of passage, which was two cents. This bridge is of course no longer paying!
In 1852, following the extension of one of the quays, the bridge was shortened from nine to seven arches.
Unfortunately, the bridge was weakened by events such as the wars of the time, and in 1977 it was made off-limits because it had become too dangerous. Fortunately, it ended up collapsing in 1979 after a collision with a barge.
It will take another 3 years to rebuild it, and will be inaugurated by the former president Jacques Chirac in 1984.
From 2008 to 2014 begins then the famous trend and tourist tradition of the padlocks, very popular but also criticized because enormously weakening the bridge due to the important weight of the padlocks.
In 2014, following the collapse of a part of the fence, the practice of hanging padlocks became prohibited, and plastic plates were installed in place of the fences.
This tradition continues to exist in other places in Paris, you can see many padlocks on the Ile de la Cité!